Affirming that the economy is right on track, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the Union Budget for 2016-17. Citing that the CPI inflation has come down to 5.4% from 9 plus, he said it is huge relief for the public.
- Infrastructure and agriculture cess to be levied.
- Excise duty raised from 10 to 15 per cent on tobacco products other than beedis
- 1 per cent service charge on purchase of luxury cars over Rs. 10 lakh and in-cash purchase of goods and services over Rs. 2 lakh.
- SUVs, Luxury cars to be more expensive. 4% high capacity tax for SUVs.
- Companies with revenue less than Rs 5 crore to be taxed at 29% plus surcharge
- Limited tax compliance window from Jun 1 – Sep 30 for declaring undisclosed income at 45% incl. surcharge and penalties
- Excise 1 per cent imposed on articles of jewellery, excluding silver.
- 0.5 per cent Krishi Kalyan Cess to be levied on all services.
- Pollution cess of 1 per cent on small petrol, LPG and CNG cars; 2.5 per cent on diesel cars of certain specifications; 4 per cent on higher-end models.
- Dividend in excess of Rs. 10 lakh per annum to be taxed at additional 10 per cent.
- No changes have been made to existing income tax slabs
- Rs 1,000 crore allocated for new EPF (Employees’ Provident Fund) scheme
- Govt. will pay EPF contribution of 8.33% for all new employees for first three years
- Deduction for rent paid will be raised from Rs 20,000 to Rs 60,000 to benefit those living in rented houses.
- Additional exemption of Rs. 50,000 for housing loans up to Rs. 35 lakh, provided cost of house is not above Rs. 50 lakh.
- Service tax exempted for housing construction of houses less than 60 sq. m
- 15 per cent surcharge on income above Rs. 1 crore
- Rs. 38,500 crore for Mahtma Gandhi MGNREGA for 2016-17
- Swacch Bharat Abhiyan allocated Rs.9,500 crores.
- Hub to support SC/ST entrpreneurs
- Government is launching a new initiative to provide cooking gas to BPL families with state support.
- LPG connections to be provided under the name of women members of family: Rs 2000 crore allocated for 5 years for BPL families.
- 2.87 lakh crore grants to gram panchayats and municipalities – a quantum jump of 228%.
- 300 urban clusters to be set up under Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission
- Four schemes for animal welfare.
- 2.2 lakh renal patients added every year in India. Basic dialysis equipment gets some relief.
- A new health protection scheme for health cover upto 1 lakh per family.
- National Dialysis Service Prog with funds thru PPP mode to provide dialysis at all district hospitals.
- Senior citizens will get additional healthcare cover of Rs 30,000 under the new scheme
- PM Jan Aushadhi Yojana to be strengthened, 300 generic drug store to be opened.
- Scheme to get Rs.500 cr for promoting entrepreneurship among SC/ST
- 10 public and 10 private educational institutions to be made world-class.
- Digital repository for all school leaving certificates and diplomas. Rs. 1,000 crore for higher education financing.
- Rs. 1,700 crore for 1500 multi-skill development centres.
- 62 new navodaya vidyalayas to provide quality education
- Digital literacy scheme to be launched to cover 6 crore additional rural households
- Entrepreneurship training to be provided across schools, colleges and massive online courses.
- Objective to skill 1 crore youth in the next 3 years under the PM Kaushal Vikas Yojna-FM Jaitley
- National Skill Development Mission has imparted training to 76 lakh youth. 1500 Multi-skill training institutes to be set up.
- Rs. 3000 crore earmarked for nuclear power generation
- Govt drawing comprehensive plan to be implemented in next 15-20 years for exploiting nuclear energy
- Govt to provide incentive for deepwater gas exploration
- Deepwater gas new disc to get calibrated market freedom, pre-determined ceiling price based on landed price of alternate fuels.
Investments and infrastructure
- Rs. 27,000 crore to be spent on roadways
- 65 eligible habitats to be connected via 2.23 lakh kms of road. Current construction pace is 100 kms/day
- Shops to be given option to remain open all seven days in a week across markets.
- Rs. 55,000 crore for roads and highways. Total allocation for road construction, including PMGSY, – Rs 97,000 crore
- India’s highest-ever production of motor vehicles was recorded in 2015
- Total outlay for infrastructure in Budget 2016 now stands at Rs. 2,21,246 crore
- New greenfield ports to be developed on east and west coasts
- Revival of underserved airports. Centre to Partner with States to revive small airports for regional connectivity
- 100 per cent FDI in marketing of food products produced and marketed in India
- Dept. of Disinvestment to be renamed as Dept. of Investment and Public Asset Management
- Total allocation for agriculture and farmer welfare at Rs 35984 crores
- 28.5 lakh heactares of land wil be brought under irrigation.
- 5 lakh acres to be brought under organic farming over a three year period
- Rs 60,000 crore for recharging of ground water recharging as there is urgent need to focus on drought hit areas cluster development for water conservation.
- Dedicated irrigation fund in NABARD of Rs.20.000 cr
- Nominal premium and highest ever compensation in case of crop loss under the PM Fasal Bima Yojna.
- Banks get a big boost: Rs 25,000 crore towards recapitalisation of public sector banks. Jaitley says: Banking Board Bureau will be operationalised, we stand solidly behind public sector banks.
- Target of disbursement under MUDRA increased to 1,80,000 crore.